As a former member
of the most famous electronic band of all times KRAFTWERK, you are still very
popular as an artist and musician and your music influenced a lot of todayís
electronic bands. How do you feel about that, being on of the most important
names in electronic music and being also a pioneer in this scene?
- Concerning my days in Kraftwerk itís like looking at an old picture. But life
goes on and to be here now is the most important thing.
always be a part of your musical history. Why did you left Kraftwerk and started
your own project and production of other bands?
- We were working five years on one album in the 80ies and I couldnít afford
Do you still
have contact with other Kraftwerk members: Ralf, Florian, Wolfgang? Do you meet
with them sometimes and hang out together? I
- Iím in contact with my old friend Wolfgang. We are seeing each other and talk
on the phone.
The new album
is simple called Electric Music, but itís very different than the album Esperanto.
In the new material you use a lot of guitars. You didnít use them on Esperanto.
Why did you choose to use them now?
- When I was working on ĄRaise The Pressureď with Johnny Marr and Bernard Sumner
from Electronic I discovered the guitar again. Johnny is one of the coolest
guitar players around and I liked his style a lot.
New songs are
very pop orientated and they have a lot of love lyrics. Am I right? Why did
you change your concept of themes that you have used on Esperanto?
- I donít feel like I have a message for the world everyday and the lyrics are
a reflection what had been happened in my life.
You worked with
Emil Schult and Andy McCluskey on the album Esperanto. Why didnít you worked
with them now? You didnít wanted to or you just wanted to make new concept and
new direction with your music?
- I have been working with Andy on his latest record ĄUniversalď. The song was
called ĄThe Moon And The Sunď.
Do you have any
other project than Electric Music and do you have some plans to start any new
- I produced and co-wrote the new album of the Swedish band The Mobile Homes
How was the response
from the critics and audience on the first releases of Electric music (album
Esperanto and singles) and now on the new material and Call on me single?
- The new record will be released next month. Then I will know more about it.
The first album
ďEsperantoĒ was released under the name of ELEKTRIC MUSIC (with K) and the new
releases are released under the name of ELECTRIC MUSIC (with C). Why is that?
Is this really a change of the name or something else?
- I rather go for the correct English spelling.
How people response
when they see you and know that you are Karl Bartos, ex member of famous Kraftwerk?
Do they recognize you and what they say?
- Iím anonymous - itís just the name who breaks the ice.
A lot of your
fans are now older people that used to listen Kraftwerk and not some kids and
teenagers. Do you have some contacts with your fans?
- Very rarely.
You have worked
with bands such as Electronic and now Mobile Homes. Why did you decide to work
with them? Did they asked you or you liked their music? Did you collaborated
with some other bands also?
- Life is much easier if you like what you are doing - so I avoid to collaborate
with somebody I doní t like.
What kind of
music and bands do you like personally?
- Thatís my secret.
Germany has a
big electro and industrial scene. Are there any bands that you like?
- Thatís also my secret.
one of the innovators in electronic music. Most of todayís techno bands and
DJ mention Kraftwerk as a big influence and one of the most important bands
in electronic scene and they say that you have invented techno. What do you
think about that and what is your opinion about techno?
- When we came back from touring Japan 1981 we wrote the song called ĄTechno
Popď because we were looking for a perfect discription of our music. Thatís
my opinion about Techno.
When you are
not working in the studio, do you have other activities, hobbies?
- Music is my one and only work and hobby at the same time.
What are your
future plans with music and your project Electric Music?
- As long as people like to listen to what I am doing I will continue making
And now last
clichť question. Any massages to your fans?
- I think that music is the universal language anyway - please consider my record
as the answer to your question.
KARL BARTOS - Official
was made in May 1998. by Danijel Levatic. It was published in Varazdinske Vijesti
on 10. June 1998.
1999. Elektronski Zvuk